Image by jaredpolin
By Nina, Contributing Writer
When I started learning about alternative health, I got a bit overwhelmed. Never mind that it”s really easy for me to get overwhelmed … I felt like there was so much to learn, so much to do, that I didn’t know where to start.
Thankfully, like many of the best things in life, alternative health can be both simple and intuitive. The key is to consistently make small changes. Before long, you’ve created habits that you can sustain for a lifetime – habits, that while simple, can dramatically improve your health.
1. Sleep More
Getting 8-10 hours of sleep is optimal for our health. The ideal time to sleep is between 10 PM and 6 AM because of the way your body was naturally designed to release certain hormones. Unfortunately, insomnia has always been a problem for me, so I’ve found some natural ways to get to sleep easier:
- Sleepy Tea – Not always necessary, but I know when I need it. You can buy an herbal blend that’s great for sleep.. Plain old chamomile tea helps, too.
- No computer/screen after 9 – Screens work to reset your brain, waking you up when you should be winding down.
- Bed by 10 – I find that I have an easier time going to sleep around then and it’s easier for me to get up in the morning.
- Bath or foot soak – I add epsom salts and lavender and frankincense essential oils to help me relax.
2. Stress Less
Stress is inevitable, but too much has adverse reactions on our health. As someone who tends to stress too much, I’ve had to learn ways to reduce stress and alleviate it quickly. Thankfully, it’s pretty simple to do:
- Say No – I’m learning to say no and have shed several commitments that just weren’t serving the needs of me or my family.
- Laughter – It’s a great way to beat stress, enjoy life and break out of whatever funk you’re in.
- Quiet time – One of my top needs is solitude and sometimes I just need to withdraw and have some time to myself. This rejuvenates me and allows me to pray and think through whatever is stressing me out.
3. Give Thanks
Cultivating an attitude of gratitude will greatly shift your perspective on life, and can improve your over-all well-being.
Find things in your life to be grateful for and give thanks often. Blessings abound all around us and it is much better to focus on them than anything negative.
4. Supplement Simply
Ideally, all of our nutrients would come from fresh, whole foods. However, we’re often left with nutrient gaps that need to be filled with quality supplements, especially vitamin D. Thankfully, I can get a lot of what I need from a few simple supplements.
- FCLO – High-quality fermented cod liver oil that is a great source of vitamins A & D, DHA/ERA and Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Multi- vitamin – I like doTERRA’s life-long vitality pack or another plant-based vitamin from Rainbow Light.
- Probiotic – For digestive health.
5. Eat Nourishing Food
I strive to feed my family nourishing, whole foods as much as possible.
Does that mean I eat all organic? No. My focus is on lots of fruits and veggies, food made from scratch and healthy alternatives to “junk food.” Healthy fats and protein from organic, hormone-free sources. Honey instead of sugar. Butter instead of margarine. Simple snacks like carrot sticks and apple slices.
What simple health habits have you created?
Confused about vaccines?
Get our FREE no-nonsense vaccine guide. Answer your questions with rational, fact-based information instead of fear.