A reader, Lindsay, recently shared her story with me. She had tested positive twice in a row on a Group B strep test while pregnant. Not wanting antibiotics during labor, she decided to use the following combination of natural treatments to become GBS negative. A third test shows that it worked!
Please understand this is for informational purposes only. It’s not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure anything. This is just one reader’s story of what worked for her.
How to Test Negative on the Group B Strep Test
Lindsay says: I am not sure which of this actually worked, or if it was a combination, but I was able to get a negative culture after receiving 2 positive urine cultures, which my midwife said she had never seen before. I had been using the following for 10 days when I tested. I recommend buying good quality organic, food sourced vitamins.
- 50 billion good quality probiotic
- Garlic Extract Capsule (5mg)
- Astragalus Capsule (800mg)
- 4000+ IU Vitamin D
- 1 tsp (500 mg) powdered whole food vitamin C (mixed in orange juice)
- 3-4 tsp cranberry concentrate (mixed in orange juice)
- 10 drops GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract) – after 2 weeks I started doing GSE only once/day
- 1-2 tsp Garlic Honey Elixer: 1/2 C. Honey, 1/4 C. Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs), 1/2 BULB fresh garlic. Puree in a blender, and store in the fridge. Have a chaser ready (I did yogurt), this stuff is stout! There is no risk of harm to a baby from having too much garlic so take as much of this as you can handle without worry.
- Insert Vaginally 1 peeled garlic clove overnight for 2 weeks, then once/week until delivery. Thread a sterile string through the clove and tie for easy removal in the AM – I used unwaxed, plain, organic silk dental floss. I also cut notches in the clove for max potency, but some find this stings or burns, which I did not.
- I also inserted 1 capsule of the probiotic vaginally during the day randomly over the 2 week period. However, be sure you don’t do this within a few days of the test as it can give a false positive result.
- Vaginal flush (not douche) Apple Cider Vinegar – 1oz ACV + 4-6 OZ warm water to dilute, using a periwash bottle (I got mine from my midwife). Once Daily for 7 Days.
In addition to this remedy, I was taking my normal vitamins – Prenatal Multi, Omega 3 fish oil, Iron, Folic Acid and Cal/Mag/Zinc. Drink plenty of purified water.
Why This Can Help
Lindsay’s recommendations are in line with what we know about bringing bacteria back into balance in the body. Garlic is a potent anti-viral and has been known to help women test negative on GBS tests before (even though it is a bacteria, not viral). Consuming large doses of probiotics also helps the system to overcome bad bacteria naturally by replacing it with good bacteria.
Grapefruit seed extract and other herbal supplements are potent natural antibiotics.
In addition to this list, you may choose to add milk kefir (some say this has more beneficial strains of bacteria than yogurt and actually helps to re-colonize the gut properly) and coconut oil (which is a strong anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral).
Have you ever used a particular remedy or program to test negative on the Group B Strep test? What worked for you?
Confused about vaccines?
Get our FREE no-nonsense vaccine guide. Answer your questions with rational, fact-based information instead of fear.